How do I add a blog to my classified site?

Hi everyone,

I have set up a DJ-Classifieds site using the JM Real Estate template.

This is the first Joomla website that I have set up, so there are things I don't know how to do, yet. Maybe my question has a simple answer.

I want to post blog articles on the site, as well. (Different from displaying classified listings in the "category blog layout").

1. How do I do this?
2. Does Joomla have blog features built in that I should use?
3. Does creating a Joomla blog require extensions, or is there a built-in tool?
4. I found a "Blog" menu in my site but it isn't displayed anywhere... should this be published and if so, where?

I want to get started as soon as possible because I have articles that should be posted as blog entries.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Hi again - found the basic Joomla blog functionality, and posted an article on my site's blog page.

Question: What is a popular blogging tool that works with the built-in blog functionality?
  • edited July 19
    Hi,

Joomla has the blog functionality built in.
    I am not sure what blogging tool you need exactly?

Regards,
    Marcin
  • Hi Marcin,

I don't understand Joomla very well. I am trying to find out what I need for blogging.

A PHP developer that worked with me to start this Joomla project kept telling me that there is no native blogging functionality in Joomla and that I needed an extension (maybe Easyblog or similar) to actually make a blog. He had no recommendation for the best blogging extension, however.

That sounds incorrect, to me, so I am asking about blogging on this forum because my site is built with DJClassifieds and a Joomla Monster template.

* Is the native Joomla blogging functionality very hard to use - and people prefer to use an extension?

* Is there any tool from DJ-Extensions or Joomla Monster that helps with blogging?

* Can you recommend a tutorial from DJ-Extensions or another Joomla resource where I can learn about the native Joomla blogging tools?

Thanks for your assistance.
  • Hi,

1) Joomla provides some basic functionality for your blog like creating and displaying categories, articles, tags, etc. It does not have any comment system, so you would need to install a 3rd party extension like Komento, JComments or simply a Disqus plugin. I do not know what more features you may need. Probably such tools like EasyBlog have much more features but all depends on your needs.

2) We do not provide such tools.

3) Here you can see a blog view on the demo site of JM Real Estate Ads template:
    https://templates.joomla-monster.com/joomla30/jm-realestateads/en/category-blog-2-columns
    You simply create a blog as decribed here:
    https://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Menus_Menu_Item_Article_Category_Blog
    You can create articles for your blog as follows:
    https://www.joomla-monster.com/documentation/joomla-basics/how-to-create-an-article
  • Thanks - this helps. :-)